|Plein Air Oil Paintings||Location: 189 McGivern Way|
Primarily a landscape painter, Eunice does most of her painting on site. Her plein air paintings reﬂect her love of the great outdoors. Enticed by the interplay of color and light, Eunice approaches painting by ﬁrst establishing the composition, and then plays with color, adding and subtracting until the painting comes together.
Although Eunice considered a career in art while in college, instead she got her degree in computer science, and worked for several years in Silicon Valley as an engineer. It was exciting and very demanding work, but left little time for art. When the tech bubble burst, she found she couldn’t go back to an ofﬁce and took up painting, ﬁrst watercolors and then oils.
Mostly self-taught, Eunice has attended several workshops and would like to attribute the following artists for their inﬂuence.
- Barbara Bailey-Porter, who taught her the basics of oil painting, and to trust her instincts.
- Michael Linstrom, who inspired her to play with color.
- Brian Blood, who impressed on her the value of neutrals.
- Hedi Moran, who taught her to be loose and bold, because you can usually pull it back together at the end.
Eunice was born and raised on a farm in North Dakota, but has lived most of her adult
life in northern California. She currently lives in the Santa Cruz Mountains.
You may contact her through her web site at evdlart.com
- “Rhythms of Still Life” – Santa Cruz County Bank
- 2013 Bonny Doon Studio Tour, Bonny Doon, CA
- 2010 Connecting with the Land: Paintings of the Santa Cruz Land Trust – Pajaro Valley Gallery, Watsonville, CA
- 2010 This is Santa Cruz – Santa Cruz Art League
- 2009 Santa Cruz Oil Painters, Group Show – Sarah’s Vineyard, Gilroy
- 2004-2010 “Local Essence” – Santa Cruz Art League Membership Show