|Painting & Pastels||Location: 4177 Smith Grade|
I studied on the East Coast in the Abstract Expressionist style of painting and graduated from Brown University with a degree in Fine Art. Subsequently I received my Masters degree in Fine Art from San Jose State University. My work has been included in several galleries in the Bay Area and is in numerous corporate and private collections. I have participated in Open Studios since its inception and teach classes at the Santa Cruz Art League.
Imagery has become part of my work as well as abstraction, and I am interested in the synthesis of the two. I have been inspired by my visits to Italy and the Mediterranean, and by the beauty of the California landscape. Painting in both oil and pastel, I often do studies en plein air and work from visual memory in the studio. My painting is characterized by shimmering light, expressive color, and loose, energetic marks. I hope to evoke a time of day, season, and poetry of place.
Paintings range from realism to abstract impressionism. Oils and pastels. Occasional use of gold leaf and collage materials.
Web site: joanh.fineartstudioonline.com
- 83rdANNUAL STATEWIDE EXHIBIT: INCREDIBLE PLACES, Santa Cruz Art League
- MEMBERS’ EXHIBIT: Davenport Gallery, Davenport, CA
- EARTH & SKY: Davenport Gallery, Davenport, CA
- 82ndANNUAL STATEWIDE EXHIBIT: COLOR & LIGHT, Santa Cruz Art League
- SMALL WONDERS, Santa Cruz Art League, Santa Cruz, CA
- INTO THE WOODS, Santa Cruz County Bank Arts Collaborative, Santa Cruz, CA
- TASTY: ARTISTS PLAYING WITH FOOD, Cabrillo Gallery, Aptos, CA
- LANDSCAPES, Davenport Gallery, Davenport, CA
- ART IN THE GARDEN, Wisteria, Soquel, CA
- STARS, Museum of Art & History, Santa Cruz, CA
- OPEN STUDIOS, Santa Cruz, CA